- Meat and poultry
- Chicken pasta
- Chicken and mushroom
Chicken dredged in Cajun spices is cooked with peppers and mushrooms, and served in a basil-cream sauce over linguine pasta.
174 people made this
- 100g linguine pasta
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 225ml double cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon and black pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:45min
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a bowl; toss to coat.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute chicken in butter until cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add green and red peppers, sliced mushrooms and spring onions; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in cream. Season the sauce with basil, lemon pepper, salt, garlic powder and black pepper; heat through.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta with sauce. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
Cajun-style chicken pasta
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2394)
Reviews in English (1675)
Made this with what was available to me - cooked chicken, and no Cajun spice so improvised with a liberal sprinkling of paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano and thyme into the mix. Flavours were good, giving the dish a gentle kick! I also added some of my home-made chicken stock but this probably watered it down somewhat.-06 Apr 2018
I loved this recipe, I used low fat cream mind and threw in some sun dried tomatoes.-03 Dec 2017
Very quick and simple recipe, I thought the Cajun flavor was a little light, next time I may add a little more. Just needed something to give it a bit more of a kick, but good basic over all recipe. Just needs a little tweaking!-12 Jan 2013
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is one of those slimming recipes that everyone has heard of no matter which diet plan you are following!
Also in these categories:Easy Peasy
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 474
- Carbs 60g
- Protein 35g
- Fat 8.1g
- Saturates 2.6g
- Sugars 16g
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
Everyone has their own, slightly different version of this dish and our Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is our take on this popular recipe!
We’ve packed as much veg as we can into this Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta to help make it super filling and slimming friendly. You can use whichever veg you want, but we’ve chosen to include peppers, carrots, onions, spring onions, mushrooms, baby corn and cherry tomatoes. You can also substitute the branded Scwartz Season All to a different brand or supermarket own, if you like.
Broccoli, courgette, spinach, kale and even some chillies would also work really well in this Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta so feel free to get creative!
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (see Tip)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook stirring, until the onion and bell pepper are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and their juice bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream.
Stir the pasta into the sauce. Serve sprinkled with scallions, if desired.
We used a Cajun spice blend that contains salt. If you have a blend without salt (check the ingredients label), season the sauce with salt to taste.
Creamy chicken pasta for the soul
And when I say comfort food, it really is comfort food — or at least I associate anything made with a cream sauce this way. A dish like this is something I like to reward myself after a long bike ride, an intense pilates class, or simply after a long day at the office where I just want to enjoy a delicious and creamy pasta dish, a glass of my favourite red wine and listen to some chilled out lounge music.
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian-style seasoning
- garlic powder to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 10 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
In a large shallow dish, mix the oil, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and lemon pepper. Place the chicken in the dish, and turn to coat with the mixture. Cover, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
Preheat the grill for high heat.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Drain chicken, and discard marinade. Place chicken on hot grill and cook for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
I honestly haven’t been to Chili’s in about 10 years, but this place really holds such good memories for me. I’ve come here with family on many occasions and I might have had my first real date here. No joke.
Hey, when you’re 16, Chili’s is the best date night you will get. And I wouldn’t mind it on a Friday night right now. After all, have you seen their blooming onion?
But this cajun pasta has always had my heart and soul. That creamy alfredo sauce just melts right in your mouth, complemented by the spicy kick of the cajun chicken topped with refreshing tomato chunks and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
The flavor combination is just perfect, and you can make it right at home in 30 minutes or less. That way you can have date night with the same restaurant-quality at home, in sweats, binge-watching Netflix. Done.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg sliced mushrooms
- 1 sm jar sun-dried tomatoes, thinly cut
- 1 box pasta of your choice, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 4 Tbsp. cajun seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Grated parmesan cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a large ziplock bag, add chicken and cajun seasoning toss until coated.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter. Add chicken and cook for 5 - 7 minutes, until almost cooked through. Add red bell pepper, mushrooms, and green onions. Saute for about 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
In a small bowl, toss 1/2 romano chees with flour until well blended. Reduce heat in skillet and add half and half, basil, garlic powder, and flour/romano cheese mixture. Heat to a very low simmer and allow sauce to thicken, stirring occasionally.
In large pasta bowl, add cooked pasta and chicken mixture. Toss together well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with remaining romano cheese.
MEDITERANIAN STYLE: Substitute cajun season with Italian seasoning and add sundried tomatoes.
Creamy Cajun Style Pasta
Creamy Cajun Style Pasta is such a delicious fusion of bold flavors that combines spicy Andouille sausage, succulent Cajun flavored Gulf shrimp, and fresh fettuccine noodles smothered in a thick, creamy cheese sauce consisting of parmesan and goat cheese with a hint of Cajun spice to tie everything in.
I love anything that calls for Cajun Spices, and I decided to try a new recipe for a pasta dish with some leftover ingredients from making my Jambalaya the other night. After all, I still had a good pound of raw Gulf shrimp and fresh Andouille sausage leftover. The idea of combining them with a creamy homemade cheese sauce and fresh pasta was making me super excited!
I decided to add more flavor to the Creamy Cajun Style Pasta and thought that diced Rotel tomatoes might be that extra layer of character I was looking for. Rotel tomatoes that I love are the addition of chiles to the canned tomatoes, making them perfect for adding a bold flavor to almost any recipe that calls for tomatoes.
I also wanted to keep the dish neat and clean with minimal ingredients, which would keep the andouille and shrimp the key focus in my Cajun Style Pasta dish tonight. I love veggies, but sometimes I crave an excellent meat and cheese recipe without all the other ingredients taking the flavor.
How to make Creamy Cajun Sauce:
- At first, add chicken broth, heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce to the pan. Next, bring to a slight simmer. Now add all your seasonings. Namely, Cajun seasoning, Paprika and Garlic powder.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese to thicken the sauce. Taste the creamy Cajun sauce and add salt to your liking.
- Lastly, add cooked pasta into the sauce and stir well to coat pasta with the cream sauce. Taste it at this point and adjust any seasoning (salt and Cajun seasoning).
Once you mix pasta with the sauce, add sliced chicken, sausage chunks and mushrooms. Next reheat the dish on low heat.
Enjoy this Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta with a glass of wine!