- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
- Fruit biscuits and cookies
A great little snack that everyone will enjoy. An oaty base is topped with sweetened cranberries and an oat crumble, before being baked to perfection.
67 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 16 bars
- 190g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 200g plain flour
- 120g porridge oats
- 220g light brown soft sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 175g butter
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, combine the cranberries, caster sugar and orange zest. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and cook until the mixture has reduced to about 250ml.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 23cm square baking tin, line with foil and then grease the foil.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, dark brown soft sugar, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press half of this mixture firmly into the prepared tin. Spread the cranberry sauce evenly over the base, then crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(76)
Reviews in English (64)
Enjoyed this but found the amount of filling too little for a 23x23 cm baking tin. The amount of crumble definitely fits this size pan. Would use just enough crumble for a 20x20 tin and save the leftover for another baking, or double the amount of filling.-12 Jan 2017
These are lovely and easy to make and taste fab, I used cranberry sauce from a jar and just sweetened it with a bit of sugar and added some juice from the orange. But like the recipe says please wait until it is cold to turn out to cut into slices. Very happy with this recipe.-10 Feb 2015
by Mary Beth
I have made this recipe twice. First I made it with the changes suggested by some readers: 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, 3 cups cranberries, 1 cup sugar and a 9 X 13 pan. But the applesauce diluted the intense cranberry flavor, and the crust wasn't substantial enough (the bars were too flimsy). So the second time, I used the following ingredients, also in a 9 X 13 pan: 4 cups cranberries 1 1/3 cups white sugar 3 tablespoons orange zest 2 cups rolled oats 1 1/2 cups flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon 2 sticks butter I baked it for about 35 minutes at 370 degrees. The cranberry filling had the intense flavor I wanted, and the crust was substantial, making for a firm bar.-01 Jan 2010