- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Savoury pies and tarts
- Cheese pies and tarts
They said it could never be done! To combine a classic New Zealand favourite, a bacon and egg pie with a stomach warming macaroni cheese! This pie was talked about, planned and debated about for many months before actually being cooked to perfection first time. I share with you the steps to follow...
1 person made this
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 250g bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g macaroni
- 200g broccoli florets
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 150g frozen peas
- 12 free range eggs
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 125g mascarpone cheese
- 50 full fat milk
- 150g strong Cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
MethodPrep:45min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Fry onions, bacon and garlic until softened and awesome.
- Cook pasta until almost done. Cool under cold water and leave aside.
- Chop broccoli into small pieces and steam so cooked and still crisp.
- Lay pastry in a large oven dish. Roll as necessary to ensure coverage of the sides of the dish.
- Lay 2/3 of the onion and bacon mixture on the pastry, leaving any liquid goodness in the pan for later.
- Sprinkle frozen peas evenly over the pastry and onion base.
- Break whole eggs over the base. Pierce the yolks, but don't mix.
- Bake until the eggs are firm enough to support macaroni, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Prepare breadcrumbs by thoroughly toasting two slices of Vogels® (or similar quality bread) and blending in a food processor.
- While the pie cooks, prepare the macaroni mix. Add mascarpone and milk to the remaining onion and bacon and mix.
- Add Cheddar, mustard (Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?), cornflour, steamed broccoli and chives. Mix until it thickens.
- Remove pie from oven and spoon macaroni mix onto the egg base.
- Lay tomato slices and parsley on top of the macaroni mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the Eggironi pie.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with rocket and salad leaves and good apricot chutney. Enjoy culinary history.
Use shop-bought pastry to save time.