- Meat and poultry
- Slow cooker beef
The slow cooker is a great way to make chilli. Serve on its own, and use leftovers to top jacket potatoes.
2728 people made this
- 500g (1 1/4 lb) minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (600g) jar passata
- 2 (400g) tins kidney beans, liquid reserved from one tin
- 1 (400g) tin cannellini beans, liquid reserved
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:8hr ›Ready in:8hr15min
- Place the mince in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain fat.
- Place the mince in a slow cooker, and mix in remaining ingredients.
- Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.
Add a few drops of hot pepper sauce to heat things up.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1031)
Reviews in English (781)
Hi, I am about to try this recipe, but cant see anywhere about adding any liquid for the chilli to cook in. Can some one help pleaseeeeeeeee.-04 Nov 2012
Used different ingredients.I used 2 tins of chopped tomatoes instead of passata, and replaced one of the tins of kidney beans for baked beans!-22 Feb 2011
Hiya rudiedog6, drain one tin of the kidney beans only. The other tin of kidney beans and the tin of cannellini beans go in with liquid and all. Hope this helps!-14 Feb 2012
Including tips if you’ve never used a slow cooker before
When you’re busy and need a good meal when you get home, this Chilli Con Carne slow cooker recipe is perfect.
After a busy day at work, the last thing many of us want to do is come home and cook dinner. Putting the slow cooker on before you go out means that you always come home to a tasty meal that’s ready when you are.
Slow cooker recipes are easy to follow and are pretty much just pre-cook any meat and chuck in everything else.
You don’t have to have a huge family to use the slow cooker either. It’s ideal if it’s just you or you need to feed a lot of people at once.
The great thing is that you can also up the recipe if you suddenly have more guests. For example, throwing in more kidney beans or beef stock can make the recipe go further.
If this is the first time you’ve even heard of slow cooking then don’t worry. Use our simple tips below that will help you get on your way to being a slow cooking genius in no time.
Come Join Our Free Resource Vault
If you’re looking for free meal plans, recipe ideas and ways to organise your home then come join our free Resource Vault. You can download all our printables as many times as you like.
(By joining giving us your email address you are consenting to us emailing you about our other travel, home and lifestyle ideas. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of every email.)
Here are 11 tips if you’ve never used your slow cooker before:
- . Having one with a timer could be useful if you work long hours or having multiple temperatures can be handy depending on what you’re cooking.
2. Using cheaper cuts of meat not only brings your price per meal down but by slow cooking means that they will still be tender when you go to eat it. You won’t even notice the difference.
- You really can just chuck everything in. Think chopped tomatoes, red peppers and chilli powder can all go in together and be left.
4. You can even use your slow cooker to help with your batch cooking. Make an extra serving or two then freeze it for another day.
- If you’re looking for slow cooker recipes on a budget then have a look at these Aldi slow cooker recipes that ate perfect for kids too.
6. Everything can be prepped in minutes meaning you don’t have to slave over the hob. Quickly chop while you’re eating breakfast and chuck it all in and leave.
- Healthy eating isn’t easy, but if you try and use the slow cooker at least twice a week, that’s two meals you are cooking from scratch without having to cook when you get home.
8. Add any diary at the end. So for this chilli recipe, add any soured cream once you’re ready to serve.
- Cooking time does vary depending on what you’re cooking. Most meals take about 4 hours on high to 6 hours on low.
10. All meat should be browned off first. This slow cooker beef chilli con carne needs browning then you really can leave it till you need it.
- There’s no need to keep taking the lid off or stirring it. Once you’ve set the heat temperature leave it be to cook. Every time you take the lid off the heat leaves the pot.
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 400g Braising Steak
- 4 Spring Onions
- 2 Garlic cloves (or 1 tbsp lazy garlic)
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 2 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 400g Tinned Tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100ml Water
- 400g red kidney beans (drained)
- 200g tinned or frozen sweetcorn (drained) or
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
To Serve (Optional)
Mexican Chilli Con Carne
So I looked online hoping to be inspired with stories of the dishs rich Mexican history. Carne con Chile Authentic Mexican Chile con Carne.
Chilli Con Carne Chilli Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Easy Chilli Con Carne
When I lived in México at my parents once a week for sure I ate carne con chile very spicy sometimes with either red rice or beans.
Mexican chilli con carne. Of course we assume the chili in the name came from the ingredient chile. Add salt and pepper to taste. With has to mean that something is with the meat carne.
I used brisket which was superb. My mom always prepared the Carne con chile in a very simple way but very rich in flavour and it was this recipe I grew up with. After many chilli con carne dinners this year I thought it was about time I shared the recipe before 2015 comes to an end.
Add the tomatoes green pepper tomato purée ground coriander chilli cumin cinnamon and Worcestershire sauce and crumble in the stock cube. La Carne con chile is a simple and basic recipe that many households in Mexico from south to north prepare with their own touch. Most Texans dont really consider chili to be Tex-Mex but rather just Tex.
Carne con chile with rice was and is more for lunch and with b. Bring to a simmer cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for about an hour stirring occasionally until the mixture is thick. Tex-Mex foods like enchiladas and tacos of course have actual Mexican.
Add the kidney beans and fresh coriander. 1 kg carne tocata de vita2 cepe tocate marunt800 g rosii pasate1 ardei gras tocat marunt2 conserve fasole rosie Bonduelle Bio 3. Carne con chile with rice was and is more for lunch and with beans for dinner.
Chilli con carne un preparat mexican delicios – reteta video Reteta de chilli con carne este ideala pentru iubitorii de carne. 1lb500g good quality beefsteak mince or ground beef. Daca va place sosul bolognese sau sosurile pe baza de carne tocata aceasta reteta este pentru voi.
Just so yo know its not a quick or simple recipe and has quite a few specialist ingredients. After an episode from Rick Steins Road to Mexico we all decided to try the carne con chilli hed made. After all it contains the word con in the name.
This delicious chilli con carne recipe serves up to 6 people and takes just 45 mins to 1 hour from start to finish including low simmer time for all the flavours to come together. Heres what you need 1kg beef cut into 3cm cubes. 1lb500g good quality pork minceground pork.
I wanted to start with a brief official description of chilli con carne. Chilli Con Carne what you need.
Classic Chili Con Carne With Dried Ancho Chiles Cumin Seeds Mexican Oregano Garlic Powder Cumin Seeds Bacon Con Carne Recipe Recipes Nyt Cooking
Classic Chili Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Chili Con Carne Recipe Beef Recipes
Chilli Mushroom Con Carne Myfoodbook With Australian Mushrooms Recipe Con Carne Recipe Delicious Dinner Recipes Chilli Con Carne Recipe
Chilli Con Carne With Step By Step Photos Chilliconcarne Chilli Mexican Texmex Homemade Soup Recipe Recipes Stew Recipes
Chilli Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Chili Con Carne Recipe Chilli Con Carne
Quick Chilli Con Carne Recipe Delicious Magazine Recipe In 2020 Con Carne Recipe Chilli Recipes Chilli Con Carne Recipe
Chilli Con Carne With Step By Step Photos Eat Little Bird Recipe Recipes Chilli Recipes Easy Soup Recipes
How To Make Chilli Con Carne Recipe Recipe Mexican Food Recipes Authentic Mexican Food Recipes Con Carne Recipe
The Best Beef Chilli Con Carne Recipe In The World We Always Have This On Recipe Rotation At Home Ch Chilli Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Chilli Recipes
Classic Chili Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Chilli Recipes Chili Con Carne
Pin On Mexican Tex Mex Southwest Central American Latin Caribbean Cooking
Classic Chilli Con Carne Recipe Delicious Magazine Recipe Chilli Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Best Chilli Con Carne
Chilli Con Carne Recipe Yummly Recipe Chilli Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Chilli Recipes
Healthy Chilli Con Carne Recipe Resep
Mexican Chili Con Carne Soup Soup And Sandwich Food Mexican Food Recipes
Chilli Con Carne Con Carne Recipe Chilli Con Carne Recipe Chilli Recipes
Chilli Con Carne Recipe Con Carne Recipe Chilli Con Carne Recipe Chilli Recipes
Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne Recipe Chilli Con Carne Slow Cooker Slow Cooker Chilli Chilli Con Carne
Chilli Con Carne Mexican Recipes Goodtoknow Recipe Chilli Con Carne Recipe Chilli Con Carne Recipes
- Total Time 5 hours 20 minutes
- Preparation Time 20 minutes
- Cooking Time 5 hours
- 900g beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- garlic (2x cloves), chopped
- 400g tomato soup (1x can)
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 410g kidney beans (1x tin), drained
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 100ml boiling water
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp beef gravy granules (to thicken - optional)
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- sour cream (to serve)
- flour tortillas (to serve)
- In a large frying pan, add the mince, with no oil and cook until it crisps slightly
- You may have to do this in two batches
- Tip the mince into the slow cooker and turn on to LOW heat
- Add the onion, garlic, soup, paprika, beans, stock cube, chilli powder, cumin and season the mix well
- Add enough boiling water to come up to halfway up the mixture
- This allows for the fact that there will be a lot of moisture coming out of the beef and the onion
- Place the lid on top and cook for 4-5 hours on LOW or 2-3 hours on HIGH, or until the meat is tender
- Once cooked, remove the lid and stir - if the sauce is a little thin, then stir in the gravy granules and heat on HIGH for a few minutes to thicken the chilli
- Stir in the parsley and serve straight from the pot with sour cream and tortillas
Slow Cooker Beef Chilli
It's perfect&mdashespecially when topped with cheese!
Our Classic Beef Chilli is already quick enough to make on a weeknight, but this slow cooker recipe is even easier.
Do I need to cook the beef and onions first?
Not really, but we recommend it. Sautéing the beef and onion will definitely lead to more flavour. But if you want to just throw everything into the slow cooker at once, it'd be TOTALLY fine.
What kind of beef should I use?
While we prefer 80% (because fat=flavour) anything up to 90% lean will work.
Can I swap in chopped tomatoes for the crushed?
Absolutely! It'll taste the same, but you'll have more texture from chopped tomatoes.
What kind of spices should I use?
Tbh, anything your heart desires. We like a combo of chilli powder, cumin, dried oregano, and paprika, but you can switch it up according to taste.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes&mdashDO IT! This makes great leftovers throughout the week. Properly stored in an airtight container, the chilli will last 4 to 5 days.
Personalize this Chili Recipe
You’re able to make a lot of changes to this recipe that will radically change the flavor profile and texture. I will just mention some ways that you can personalize this tasty chili.
Replacing the beans is one of the most popular changes to this recipe. You can either leave them out entirely or swap them for something like chunks of carrot or potato. Both will work just fine.
Another change that you can make is to play around with the amount and type of chili. Replacing the chili flakes with some fresh chili is a great way of changing the heat and flavor of this recipe.
For a radically different dish, you can replace the ground beef for shredded chicken instead. This change results in an incredible chicken chili that looks and tastes great.
If you have any alterations that you have made and has worked great then be sure to let us know in the comments section towards the bottom of this page.
Chilli Con Carne Cost
Chilli is one of those meals that you can make a big pot of and enjoy with the family, friends, camping etc. it can be enjoyed with rice, tacos, on a jacket potato or just in a bowl with a spoon. One thing you will find in that this recipe is chilli con carne with beans, if you don’t like beans, you can leave them out.
I like to put in a lot of vegetables into my recipes where possible, especially if it is a recipe that is going to cook for a long time, it means that I will be cooking in loads of goodness. I do this by adding vegetables, either in chunks or grated, either way, it tastes delicious.
- 900g / 2lb beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 400g can tomato soup
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 410g can Kidney beans, drained
- one beef stock cube
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- about 100ml / 3½fl oz boiling water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp beef gravy granules, to thicken, optional
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- sour cream and flour tortillas, to serve
Chilli Con Carne
An easy to make chilli con carne, that requires little preparation and is simply delicious.
12 teaspoons of olive oil
1 x 400 g tin kidney beans, drained
2 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes (Italian tomatoes)
500 g free-range beef mince
Seasoning: salt and pepper
Grated mature hard cheese
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Looking for more delectable dishes to make at home for your family and friends? We have excellent suggestions for you to try, just check out our recipes.
Weather forecast, alerts and UVB index for all South African provinces, 13 June 2021
Read it now: Your daily Love Horoscope for 13 June 2021
Your daily Horoscope for 13 June 2021
Faf du Plessis in frightening on-field PSL collision with team-mate – WATCH
Meatballs in a brandy sauce – Luscious, flavour-packed family meal
TheSouthAfrican.com is all about South Africa and the stories that affect South Africans, wherever they are in the world.
Our offices are for administrative purposes only, no visitors will be accepted without an appointment.
South Africa– Blue Sky Publications (Pty) Ltd T/A TheSouthAfrican Number: 2005/028472/07.
Address: Regus Business Centre
1st Floor, Block B, North Park, Black River Park, 2 Fir Street, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925, South Africa
Postal: Blue Sky Publications (Pty) Ltd T/A TheSouthAfrican, PO Box 44354, Claremont, 7735, South Africa
United Kingdom– Blue Sky Publications Ltd – Company Registration Number: 04683692.
Address: Riverbank House, 1 Putney Bridge Approach, London, SW6 4TJ
Copyright © Blue Sky Publications Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
thesouthafrican.com is a division of Blue Sky Publications Ltd. Reproduction without permission prohibited.