- Dish type
- Starters with cheese
This is a unique starter to serve if you're having an Ethiopian-themed dinner party. Cottage cheese is spiced to perfection and served with wilted spinach, cooked with a hint of chilli for just the right amount of heat.
14 people made this
- 450g cottage cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh root ginger
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 900g spinach leaves, roughly chopped
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:5min ›Ready in:15min
- Mix cottage cheese, 1 clove of garlic, cardamom and cloves thoroughly in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, ginger, green chilli and 2 cloves of garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted. Drain any excess liquid, and serve the spinach mixture over the seasoned cottage cheese.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(10)
Reviews in English (9)
What a unique way to use cottage cheese. I chose this recipe as part of my Ethiopian dinner because my husband has throat cancer and cottage cheese is one of the things he can eat with no problems. I love the citrusy-earthy flavor of the cardamom in this dish. I'll be making this again...thanks for a wonderful recipe!-27 May 2010
The flavor using fresh ginger is far superior to the dried. If you don't use much ginger, cut it in chunks & keep it in the freezer in bags until needed. I have sensitive fingers so I either wear rubber gloves to handle hot peppers or my husband, who is not bothered by the capsaisin, chops them. It's delicious when made according to the recipe.-14 Mar 2011
An interesting use of cottage cheese! The spices used are very unique, albeit expensive. Changes to the recipe include 1/2 tsp. of powdered ginger instead of 1 Tbs of minced fresh ginger and less spinach. Due to my inability to handle anything with capsaicin, I also skipped the green peppers. Overall, I call it a success with its ethnic twist on boring 'ol cottage cheese and unique use of flavors.-15 Nov 2010