- Dish type
- Frozen desserts
- Ice cream
This is a delicious adult ice cream that is best made with a high quality vanilla ice cream. A pinch of cinnamon wouldn't hurt along with the nutmeg, either!
17 people made this
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 litre vanilla ice cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
MethodPrep:10min ›Extra time:8hr soaking › Ready in:8hr10min
- Place the raisins in a small bowl, pour on the rum, cover with cling film and allow the raisins to steep overnight.
- The next day, remove ice cream from freezer and allow to stand at room temperature until the ice cream is softened but not melting, about 15 minutes. Scoop the ice cream into a large bowl, and stir in the rum-soaked raisins, any extra rum in the bowl and nutmeg until the ice cream is well mixed. The rum will soften the ice cream and make mixing easier.
- Pack the flavoured ice cream back into the carton and refreeze until needed, at least 1/2 hour.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
This was very easy to make and delicious. I did chop the raisans into smaller pieces. The alcohol does change the consistency of the ice cream but it's still very good. Next time I make this, I may puree the raisans with the rum and then add to the ice cream.-24 Mar 2010
by Buckwheat Queen
Really an easy and great recipe. My husband is the rum raisin expert and gave this 5 stars. I had never had it before and liked it well enough. I used homemade vanilla ice cream and just added the soaked raisins (I gave them a whirl in my food processor first) and only half the rum with the ice cream during the last five minutes in the churn. After 24 hours in the freezer I left it on the counter for about 5 minutes and it was super soft thanks to the alcohol. Thank you very much for the recipe.-05 Dec 2015