- Dish type
- Mini cakes
- Fruit muffins
This super recipe calls for a whole orange, peel and all. The dates lend natural sweetness and flavour that is utterly delicious, and cloves and ginger add just a hint of spice.
27 people made this
- 1 thin skinned orange, cut into eighths and seeded
- 1 egg
- 110g buttermilk
- 75g chopped pitted dates
- 110g butter
- 225g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Extra time:35min › Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Grease muffin tin or line with paper muffin cases.
- Place orange pieces into the blender with the egg, buttermilk, dates and butter. Blend thoroughly until mixture is thick, fairly smooth with flecks. Pour out into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, sugar, bicarb, baking powder, salt, cloves and ginger. Stir flour mixture into the orange mixture and stir or fold gently with a wooden spoon or spatula only until dry ingredients have combined. Don't worry about any lumps that may be present. Fill muffin tin to just under rims with batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into centre of muffin comes out clean. Let stand in tin for five minutes, then remove to wire racks for cooling.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(35)
Reviews in English (27)
These were about the lightest muffins I've ever eaten. They also smelled amazing and were so simple. I used normal milk instead of buttermilk. The family were very appreciative-06 Aug 2015
Very good. I used only 1/2 cup of sugar, and reduced the cloves to 1/4 tsp and the ginger to 1/2 tsp. They were plenty sweet and browned well with the reduced sugar. Next time I may reduce the ginger a little more.-01 Feb 2011
These are incredible! I used melted butter or oil instead of solid butter... otherwise I found the batter wasn't moist enough to mix. These smell wonderful in the oven and taste just as good.-28 Jun 2002