- Meat and poultry
- Roast chicken
This poussin recipe is deliciously different. This is a favourite around our house.
16 people made this
- 120ml coffee flavoured liqueur, such as Kahlua®
- 60ml fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 poussin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices orange, halved
- 2 slices lemon, halved
- 160g seedless grapes (optional)
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr25min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5. In a small saucepan, stir together the coffee liqueur, orange and lemon juices, mustard and paprika. Add butter and bring to the boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Season the inside of the poussin with salt and pepper to taste. Stuff each poussin with half a slice of orange and half a slice of lemon. Stuff grapes into the cavity if desired. Spoon in about a tablespoon of the sauce. Truss or skewer the legs together and place breast side up in a shallow roasting tin, and tent loosely with foil.
- Roast for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove foil and baste with the coffee liqueur sauce. Continue roasting for an additional 30 minutes, basting a few more times. Remove hens to a serving platter and remove trussing or skewers. Place roasting tin onto the hob and deglaze with the remaining basting sauce, scraping up the browned bits. Simmer until thickened, then spoon over roasted poussin. Garnish with remaining lemon and orange slices.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(18)
Reviews in English (13)
Good flavor and very moist, but the hens were undercooked at the recommended one hour. It's more like one and a half hours.-25 Dec 2008