- Dish type
- Side dish
Sweetcorn and rice is a traditional Bahamian side dish that can be served with your favourite Caribbean-inspired meal. The sweetcorn can be substituted with black eye beans or butter beans for an equally delicious dish.
15 people made this
- 1 rasher streaky bacon, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 125ml passata
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red chilli flakes
- 4 (198g) tins sweetcorn, drained
- 825ml water
- 370g white rice
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:50min ›Ready in:1hr10min
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until the fat begins to render. Stir in the onion, pepper and thyme; cook until the onion is nearly translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the passata, browning sauce, salt, black pepper and red chilli flakes; stir; simmer another 3 minutes. Add the sweetcorn; simmer another 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour the water into the mixture while stirring. Raise the heat to high and stir in the rice; bring to the boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the rice has absorbed all the moisture, about 30 minutes; fluff with a fork to serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(21)
Reviews in English (18)
Browning is a liquid that comes in a small bottle. The most common brand that I am aware of is "Kitchen Bouquet". It is used to give a little extra flavour and a nice brown color to the rice.-29 Dec 2008
I made this for dinner tonight. It was delish!!! I made a few changes. I used one 15 ounce of corn which was plenty. I also added a few stalks of skellion while the liquid was simmering, just a few minutes before adding the rice. Lastly, I used Jasmine rice which is so much more flavorful. A true winner!!!!!!-09 Jan 2012