- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of chicken
- Chicken breast
- Breaded chicken breasts
Flavourful chicken thighs are coated in basil and Parmesan breadcrumbs, then pan fried until golden brown.
57 people made this
- 1 egg
- 7 tablespoons double cream
- 50g (2 oz) dried breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1kg (2 lb) skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:55min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg and double cream and beat together well. In a separate medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, basil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg wash and then dredge liberally in the breadcrumb mixture. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Fry the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes per side, or until both sides are golden brown and crusty. Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake covered in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then remove aluminium foil and bake uncovered for 15 more minutes, or browned and chicken juices run clear.
You can also use chicken breast fillets for this recipe. Leftovers are great for a quick toasted sandwich the next day!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(111)
Reviews in English (80)
As a Weight Watcher, I was concerned about the number of POINTS values this recipe had...it had 10 per serving. If you use only egg white, instead of an egg; nonfat yogurt instead of heavy whipping cream (25 grams of fat down to 0); 1/8 cup of olive oil in a nonstick skillet; and chicken breasts instead of the dark meat, you knock the points down to 6 per serving. It tastes just as great...and it almost knocks the fat out of the recipe.-01 Mar 2005
This is the best chicken recipe! It tastes just like something you'd get at an Italian restaurant (Papa Vino's Parmesean Chicken). I add mozzerella after the chicken is cooked and serve with a side of tomato sauce. I could eat this chicken dish every week. The fresh basil makes it fantastic! I use the leftover egg mixture and crumb mixture to coat zucchini and fry them up after - makes yummy zucchini sticks as a side dish! Oh, I use half olive oil and half vegetable oil just to mellow out the flavor. This is SOOO good. If I could give it 6 stars I would. Oh, one more thing, I also flattened the chicken breasts with a mallet between two sheets of saran wrap before I coated them. The texture and thickness is perfect that way. You could also butterfly them. (Just gets more of the yummy crumb mixture on it then, yummy!!!)-04 Aug 2004
Tasty chicken recipe, the breading mixture comes out nice and crispy. I added 1/4 cup more cheese and Lowry's seasoning to the crumb mixture and 1 tbs extra basil.-20 Aug 2001