- Dish type
- Frozen desserts
- Ice cream
- Chocolate ice cream
This is a heavenly chocolate ice cream recipe that is given a distinctive and rich flavour thanks to the addition of creme fraiche. Use the best chocolate you can afford for best results.
24 people made this
- 170g plain chocolate, chopped
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 450ml creme fraiche
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:2hr freezing › Ready in:2hr40min
- Blend the chocolate and milk together in a blender on high until smooth; add the creme fraiche, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blend again until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions until it reaches "soft-serve" consistency. Transfer ice cream to a lidded plastic container; cover surface with cling film and seal. For best results, ice cream should ripen in the freezer at least 2 hours or overnight.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(6)
Reviews in English (6)
Just made this and its fantastic!!!! It doesn't taste low fat at all, I made it with half fat creme fraiche and it turned out so creamy that you would think its loaded with calories. Thank you so much for posting!!!!-28 May 2013
Delicious & ultra easy! Blenderizing the (Ghirardelli 70% Cacao) chocolate speckled tiny bits of chocolate throughout, which melt in the mouth. I think that combining maple syrup & vanilla with the classic pairing of chocolate & creme fraiche produces an exquisite flavor ~ everyone loved it. I didn't have enough creme fraiche, so I made this using 1/2 creme fraiche & 1/2 low-fat milk. This still made the ice cream rich & delightful, & with enough fat content that the ice cream was easily scooped immediately upon removal from the freezer (i.e., it wasn't rock hard). We all thought that IF I were to change this recipe, adding coconut would be a good addition. Highly recommended!-04 Mar 2010
This is delicious! I made a half batch to use up some creme fraiche and next time I'll be buying some just to make this!-22 Apr 2010