- Dish type
- Yeast bread
This easy to make dough can be shaped into pretzels or bread sticks.
56 people made this
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried active baking yeast
- 175ml (6 fl oz) warm water (45 C)
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 280g (10 oz) bread flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt, or Maldon Sea Salt flakes
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast mixture, sugar, salt and half of the flour; beat well. Beat in the remaining flour, a little at a time, until a stiff dough is formed. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in volume.
- Preheat oven to 230 C / Gas mark 8. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 pieces. Roll pieces out into long sticks and form into pretzel shape. Place pretzels on prepared baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(47)
Reviews in English (37)
I only got 8 decent sized ones out of the mixture. Don't cook them over the suggested time as they become very hard. Tasted wonderful though.-04 Sep 2011
Easy to follow! Thanks for the recipe.-13 Jun 2010
absolutely lovely. Already in my recipe book. Brilliant and easy to make. Friends and mum loved em.-16 Sep 2012