- Dish type
- Seafood starters
These crab cakes are absolutely delicious. I prefer to use fresh crab meat, but you can use whatever is to hand.
65 people made this
- For crab cakes
- 175g crab meat
- 120g plain breadcrumbs
- 175g mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 spring onions, minced
- 1 drop hot sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For mango salsa
- 1 mango, peeled, stone removed and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno or green chilli, or to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:10min ›Extra time:30min chilling › Ready in:1hr
- Drain the crab meat. In a large bowl, mix the crab meat, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, egg, spring onions, hot sauce and salt and pepper until combined. Shape the mixture into 16 small cakes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the diced mango, onion, basil, coriander, lime juice, chilli (if using), salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook crab cakes until crisp and golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Top with salsa.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(66)
Reviews in English (53)
These crab cakes are amazing with the mango salsa and a bit of sweet chilli sauce and some lime mayo. I quadrupled the amounts as I read the previous reviews and we are a family of five (Me and hubby, one strapping 18 year old man, one strapping 14 year old teen and an 8 year old that can eat for England!). I got 11 quarter pounder sized crab cakes. I used tinned crab lump meat and added quartered baby plum tomatoes, cucumber and used two small chopped slices of red onion and two chopped spring onions to the salad, but everything else used was fresh and the recipe followed to the T. I added chilli flakes to the crab mixture before using a pastry cutter to cram the mixture into! These turned out so well, love them! The 8 year old, not so keen but did give them a go. I served with new potatoes (boiled and the oven roasted in basil olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic granuals). These will definitely be a regular! Thank you so much for sharing :-D-24 Jul 2017
I just made this for my tea and both items were delicious. I used tinned crab white meat for the cakes as fresh is beyond my budget. I don't like coriander so didn't use that for the salsa, I used a whole red chilli instead of the green as I prefer red and a little dried basil instead of the fresh for budget reasons again.-28 Feb 2016
These were amazing! I made them for a dinner party and they were a huge hit. I used fake crab meat because I'm allergic to shellfish. Also, I didn't have any chilli sauce so I substituted a jalepeno, and it was perfect. I also added a tomato to the salsa. I'm making these again tonight to impress my mother at another dinner party, and they will definately be a staple in my recipe box. Thanks for the great recipe!!!-04 Oct 2007