- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
This soup is a Portuguese favourite, and a great use of kale. Enjoy it with a thick slice of your favourite bread!
96 people made this
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 litres cold water
- 170g fresh chorizo or linguica sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 500g kale, rinsed and julienned
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr5min
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes more. Pour in water, bring to the boil, and let boil gently for 20 minutes, until potatoes are mushy.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-low heat, cook sausage until it has released most of its fat, 10 minutes. Drain.
- Mash potatoes or puree the potato mixture with a blender or food processor. Stir the sausage, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer, 5 minutes, until kale is tender and green. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve at once.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(109)
Reviews in English (87)
Just a note of my slightly different order of things... I actually fry the chorizo/sausage and use some of that fat to then continue with the process, it adds lot more flavour and as someone mentioned I prefer to use chicken/vegetable broth! Also, I never blend the potatoes for this soup, rather mash them so I end up with some pieces rather than just a creamy soup base! I just love Caldo Verde, one of my all time favourites!-25 Jul 2017
Used different ingredients.also good with thinly sliced celery and carrots added while sweating the onions & garlic-04 Jan 2011
Very good, not quite like my mother in law's, but very good.I did switch the liguica for chorico and more than doubled the amount, but thats how I like it.-12 Dec 2002