- Dish type
- Rice pudding
This rice pudding is made with brown rice for a nuttier, healthier version of the traditional pud.
22 people made this
- 350ml double cream
- 300ml water
- 100g short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 60g sultanas or raisins
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr40min ›Ready in:1hr50min
- Bring the double cream, water, brown rice and salt to the boil in a pot; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed, about 80 minutes. Fold the sultanas or raisins into the mixture and continue cooking until they plump, about 10 minutes more.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl; slowly pour into the pot with the rice whilst stirring. Cook and stir until the mixture thickens, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(20)
Reviews in English (18)
This was a wonderful dish! I did make some changes... Didn't have any heavy cream so I substitued the cream and water for 2% milk and had to cook it for about 1hr 45min before all the liquid was absorbed. I added raisins and apples and it was DELICIOUS. The second time I made it I only put in half the sugar and you couldn't tell. Will absolutely make again!-06 Mar 2011
Can't be better. I skipped the egg yolks and I love brown rice pudding even more than regular white. Thanks for a fabulous recipe.-10 Jun 2011