- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
This is an excellent recipe for Christmas dinner and is very simple to prepare.
303 people made this
- 675g Brussels sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:11min ›Ready in:36min
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts. Cut an "X" about 3mm deep in the stem of the sprouts (this helps to cook the sprouts more evenly and quickly).
- In a saucepan, cover Brussels sprouts with water, add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 6 minutes or until tender; drain. Be careful not to overcook sprouts.
- Place sprouts in a small casserole dish. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the sprouts and mix well to coat.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, dried breadcrumbs, garlic granules, black pepper, seasoned salt and remaining butter and mix well; sprinkle mixture over sprouts.
- Heat sprouts under grill (about 10cm away from heat) for about 5 minutes or until crumb mixture is lightly browned. Serve hot.
This is a great way to use up leftover Brussels sprouts!
This recipe is from my cookbook, From Uncle Bill's Kitchen.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(318)
Reviews in English (230)
I usually don't consider brussel sprouts my favorite vegetable because they have a bitter flavor and after-taste. However, I decided to give this receipe a try due to the previous reviews. I have to admit, it really dresses up the sprouts and improves the flavor! The crumb topping is really yummy and masks the bitter taste. Great recipe and even my picky husband liked it! If you have kids, this is a great way to get them to eat veggies that they normally don't like. As for the the previous reviewer CHADERINKAIA who said, "would not reccomend, unless you are absolutely a brussel sprout fan" ... I think that's a given. No matter how much you dress up a food, it's still going to have some of its original flavor. If you hate brussel sprouts, don't make this dish because it'll still taste like brussel sprouts! Duh! It doesn't matter how much merlot wine sauce you put on dog food, it will still taste like dog food.-21 May 2004
Excellent! I could live on this, but then again I love veggies! I substituted 1/2 pound baby carrots for 1/2 pound of the sprouts and made it colorful. The kids ate the carrots. Boil the baby carrots about a minutes less than the sprouts. Thanks.-24 Sep 2001
These were sooo yummy!! I added a few splashes of soy sauce to mine. I guess I felt like being creative and boy am I glad I did, because it made them taste delicious. My husband and I enjoy brussels sprouts and this is definitely a recipe I'll use again and again. Thanks William for this recipe and for all of the others you have submitted to this site!-08 Jan 2003