- Meat and poultry
This is a Filipino dish, a delicious and distinctive combination of chicken, prawns and ham in coconut milk with rice and curry powder.
6 people made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 chicken leg quarters, meat removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 225g tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 225g fully cooked ham, cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (400g) tin coconut milk
- 185g uncooked glutinous white rice
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:1hr10min
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic in the hot oil until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with the curry powder and stir to evenly coat. Add the chicken and stir. Cover the frying pan and cook for 2 minutes. Stir the prawns into the mixture and cook another 2 minutes. Add the ham and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Again cover the frying pan and cook another 2 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk into the frying pan. Add the rice and stir. Reduce heat to low and cover; cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(8)
Reviews in English (6)
by Patti Weiss
This was delicious! I left out the ham, and subbed cubed chicken breast for the legs, but did everything else the same. Really tasty. thanks.-21 Aug 2011
by Breinn Robert
I was looking for a recipe for curry shrimp that didn't have canned soup (really? Cream of mushroom soup in curry?) when I found this.I skipped all the meat except the shrimp, added way more curry, and my rice was done after about 22 minutes.THIS ROCKED MY WORLD! It was like some sort of amazing curry shrimp risotto with way less stirring and only one pan. I will make this again and again and for company and spread the word to friends and family near and far. I think the name may be preventing more people from trying this. Get over it people! This dish amazes under any name!-04 May 2012