- Diet & lifestyle
- Vegetarian meals
I love the braised tofu served at Chinese restaurants, but at home I like to make it healthier (without the deep frying). This dish is good on its own or with rice.
45 people made this
- 1 (350g) packet tofu firm silken style (such as Blue Dragon)
- 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 (220g) tin whole water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 90g (3 oz) fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 150g (5 oz) mangetout, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 225ml (8 fl oz) water
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:30min
- Slice tofu block into 3 long slabs lengthwise. Wrap each slice in kitchen roll, and press to squeeze out excess water.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, add rapeseed oil and 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu slices to the frying pan. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side, or until delicately browned.
- Remove tofu from frying pan, and slice into cubes. Add the remaining teaspoon sesame oil to the frying pan, and stir-fry the water chestnuts, mushrooms and mangetout. Mix together water and oyster sauce, and add to the frying pan along with the tofu. Cover, and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
Try braising with vegetable or chicken stock instead of the water for more flavour.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(45)
Reviews in English (36)
My family and I loved it! The flavors in this dish are scrumptious. My teenaged daughter helped to make dinner. Because the directions were well written, she was able to do a great job in making this dish! To make it was very easy and fast!I made it as a main dish to Asian Coconut Rice ( http://sidedish.allrecipes.com/AZ/sinCcntRic.asp ) The two flavors go extremely well together. Thanks for sharing the recipe!-27 Jan 2003
It's great! I used a bit of onion and a lot of brocolli instead of the veggies recommended -and everything still worked out brilliantly.note: use a nonstick pan. first attempt to braise tofu in an non- non-stick was less successful.-13 Mar 2003
Wow! This was absolutely delicious!!! Very authentic tasting to an asian gal. Close to mom's cooking at home!Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!-16 Jun 2003