- Meat and poultry
- Beef mince
This recipe for stuffed peppers is easy and delicious, with a Bolognese-inspired filling. A small shaped pasta, like risoni, makes a great alternative to rice.
347 people made this
- 90g white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 6 peppers (any colour) stems and seeds removed, cut in half lengthways
- 225g minced beef
- 125g pancetta or lightly smoked bacon, diced
- 350ml tomato pasta sauce
- 60ml red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 75ml double cream
- 40g grated Parmesan cheese, divided
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:1hr20min ›Ready in:1hr50min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- In a saucepan bring water to the boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender and fluffy; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Cook and stir carrots and celery until tender. Add mince and pancetta, and cook until browned and crumbled; drain off any excess liquid, and return to heat. Add pasta sauce, wine and red chilli flakes, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream, half of the Parmesan cheese and cooked rice. Simmer 5 minutes more, or until most liquid has absorbed.
- Place peppers in a shallow baking dish, and fill with beef mixture. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(407)
Reviews in English (277)
This was so delicious! I did make a few changes but nothing too major and mostly at the suggestion of other reviewers: blanched peppers for 3 minutes, added one clove minced garlic to carrot/celery saute, doubled red pepper flakes because we like our food spicy, added some salt and garlic powder here and there, and mixed 2tbsp panko bread crumbs to parm.cheese topping for added crunch. This is definitely going into regular dinner rotation.-11 Apr 2008
by Robb M.
First, I hate bell peppers but really wanted to try this dish, I am soo glad I did. I used 4 red bell peppers and made this exactly as the recipe calls with one addition I mixed panko bread crumbs with the parmesan cheese topping to give it a light golden crispy taste and look. The presentation was right out any gourmet cook book photo. The taste was out of this world. My brother hates bell peppers and absolutely loved this dish going back for seconds. I will make this often.-31 Jan 2008
Lovely combination of ingredients creating a beautiful sauce. Almost a shame to mix it up with rice and stuff it in a pepper, but I'm not complaining! I added onion and garlic to the vegetable mix for a more classic Bolognese and even tho' I generally prefer bacon over pancetta, in this case I felt it was well worth using the pancetta as it imparts its own, unique flavor - much different from bacon. Having my own marinara on hand that I had put up from my garden was a definite plus. As I always do with stuffed peppers, I parboiled them for a few minutes before I stuffed them and I believe that's a necessary step. The filling is not enough to fill 6 peppers so plan on making more than the recipe states. These were pleasant to prepare as well as to eat - a definitely enjoyable dinner. All the ingredients meld to create a flavor all its own and each ingredient plays an important role. Creative and delicious departure from the classic stuffed pepper.-13 May 2010