- Dish type
- Starters with cheese
These delicious little toasts are an easy canapé to make at the last minute, or are great when served with a bowl of soup.
27 people made this
- 1 baguette, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 50g butter, melted
- 110g crumbled blue cheese
- 50g butter, softened
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 8 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:13min ›Ready in:28min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Brush one side of each slice of bread with melted butter, and place butter side up on a baking tray. Bake for 7 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- In a small bowl, stir together the blue cheese, softened butter, salt and pepper. Spread this mixture over the tops of the toasted bread slices, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 6 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the topping is melted and bubbly. Arrange on a serving tray and garnish with chopped parlsley.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(30)
Reviews in English (21)
Very easy and quick to make. We shared this between four as a starter with a salad of baby greens and pear and it was delicious.-18 Jan 2018
I tweaked this just a bit to help decrease the fat and calories: did not use butter when browning the first side, and instead of mixing the blue cheese into softened butter, I used low-fat mayo (I'm sure you could even use non-fat, but low-fat is what I had); you just need to make sure the cheese is finely crumbled so that it mixes in well with the mayo. I also used pecans, and mixed them into the spread (but if making the spread ahead of time, would not do this until right before using). And I added just a dash of cayenne to make the flavors pop! I like to serve these with a salad of baby mixed greens with pears, pecans, and goat or feta cheese, with the Maple Balsamic dressing from this site. Yummm - better than a 5-star restaurant!-04 Jul 2009
Everyone loved this, just don't cook it too long in the oven - I kept waiting for mine to get real bubbly and the toast was too toasty. We like our toast chewy and soft, next time I'd take it out sooner.-27 Dec 2007