- Meat and poultry
This is a delicious recipe that I grew up on - a traditional Greek way to prepare lamb. I've added my own touch with some fresh mint.
54 people made this
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600g (1 1/2 lb) lamb stewing meat
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1kg (2 lb) fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 (600g) jar passata
- 225ml (8 fl oz) water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dessertspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr20min
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add lamb and onion and cook until meat is browned; stir in beans and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in passata, water, salt, pepper and mint. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cooked through and beans are tender. Check halfway through cooking - if there is too much liquid, simmer uncovered for the remaining 30 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(39)
Reviews in English (35)
My mother gave this 4 stars, my father gave it 3 and I gave it 5 - so I'll settle on 4. I thought it was delicious, but I used lamb stew meat that was on the bone and it wasn't nearly enough meat. Next time I'd search until I found boneless lamb stew meat. Very tasty dish!!-15 Sep 2008
This recipe is very easy to make and very delicious too! The only thing I would suggest is to adjust the amount of green beans to your own liking. Thanks for a new quick meal!-15 Sep 2008
I used beef instead of lamb and it was wonderful. It was served over rice and we tried it over pasta. Both were very tasty.-15 Sep 2008