- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
This is a classic German Christmas biscuit.
10 people made this
- 200g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 150g margarine
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 500g sifted plain flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 180g green glace cherries
- 24 red glace cherries
MethodPrep:45min ›Cook:12min ›Ready in:57min
- Cream together 200g sugar with butter and margarine. Beat in 2 eggs and add orange zest.
- Sift flour and gradually blend into sugar mixture. Dough should hold together and not be crumbly.
- Take a walnut sized piece of dough and roll in the palm of your hand to create a 10 to 15cm rope. Bring ends together to form a circle, and fold ends over each other. Brush with a mixture made from beaten egg white and 2 teaspoons sugar; this makes a glossy finish. Add green glace cherries for 'leaves' and 1/2 a red glace cherry for the 'berry' - used to decorate at the knot.
- Bake at 200 C / Gas 6 on ungreased baking trays for 10 to 12 minutes. Bake only until biscuits are light brown on bottom - just barely baked.
You may find the biscuits easier to decorate if the green glace cherries are roughly chopped.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(11)
Reviews in English (8)
by KIM CURRY
This is a wonderful recipe. The cookies are as beautiful as they are delicious. I would like to offer a hint, lightly flour your hands when working the dough into ropes, it makes it so much easier and chilling the dough slightly if it gets too soft does the trick. Try these cookies, the orange zest makes them wonderful!-19 Dec 2000
Great recipe. It takes time, but these cookies are very impressive on a plate. Personally I think it's essential to use fresh orange peel and I also like to add a little cinnamon and ground clove to spice it up a little.-10 Dec 2006
I waited for them to turn a bit golden, they did not, took them out they were hard and bland. Waste of ingredients. I was so excited to make cookies for my German family too!-22 Dec 2007