- Dish type
Belgian waffles are tender and flavourful waffles made with yeast. Serve with butter, cream, fresh fruit, jam, honey or syrup.
524 people made this
- 1 (7g) sachet dried active baking yeast
- 60ml warm milk (45 degrees C)
- 3 egg yolks
- 650ml warm milk (45 degrees C)
- 175g butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500g plain flour
- 3 egg whites
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Extra time:1hr rising › Ready in:1hr35min
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 60ml warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 60ml of the warm milk and the melted butter. Stir in the yeast mixture, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in the remaining warm milk alternately with the flour, ending with the flour. Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into the waffle batter. Cover the bowl tightly with cling film. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the waffle iron. Brush with oil and spoon about 125ml (or as recommended by manufacturer) onto centre of iron. Close the lid and bake until it stops steaming and the waffle is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 100 degree oven.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(554)
Reviews in English (429)
Made these for my daughter, as she only liked the shop version, the mobile family enjoyed them, it also kept on the fridge for 4 days .-09 Oct 2016
Mmmmmm..... These were Sooo good... Light, crispy and delicious! Cannot recommend them enough-17 Oct 2015
Best waffle recipe ,followed the recipe exactly,served with maple syrup ,cream and Nutella.hoping to make it again and serve with cookie crumbs, strawberries , chocolate sauce and icecream-12 Jan 2015