- Meat and poultry
- BBQ chicken
Fresh and exciting flavours make this barbecued chicken a crowd-pleasing favourite. To serve, arrange the chicken on a banana leaf if possible and garnish with fresh coriander.
76 people made this
- 1 bunch fresh coriander with roots
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 small hot red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 (1.3kg) chicken, cut into pieces
- 60ml coconut milk
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:3hr marinating › Ready in:3hr45min
- Cut coriander roots off at the stem, and mince thoroughly. Set aside a few leaves for garnish. In a blender or food processor, combine coriander roots and leaves, garlic, chillis, turmeric, curry powder, sugar and salt. Process to a coarse paste. Pour in fish sauce and blend until smooth.
- Place chicken in a large shallow dish. Rub with the coriander paste. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat barbecue for high heat.
- Lightly oil the cooking grate. Place chicken on the prepared barbecue, and brush liberally with coconut milk. Barbecue chicken 8 to 15 minutes on each side, depending on the size of the pieces. Turn only once, and baste occasionally with coconut cream. Cook until browned and tender, and juices run clear.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(79)
Reviews in English (65)
by Esmee Williams
Delicious Thai Taste. My family thought it tasted just like they ordered it from their favorite Thai Restaurant. I served the chicken with Peanutty Noodles.-06 May 2002
I was in a hurry to cook dinner and picked this recipe based on everyone else's great reviews. We all loved the chicken, although my husband and I enjoyed it more than the kids. Will definetly make again. Have been wondering why the recipe calls out for *breast halves, chopped*. Why chopped? Also, the directions call it *coriander paste* - where is the coriander in the ingredients??6/7/04-I made this recipe again last night and pleased to see recipe was corrected based on my input. This time I used boneless chicken breasts and they were fantasic. Also, instead of fish sauce - I use soy sauce. Thank you again for a *10* recipe.-05 Apr 2002
by IM COOKIN
Excellent chicken! I thought the cilantro would be overpowering, but it wasn't. The taste was delicious and even my picky pre-teen children loved it. I used boneless chicken breasts, grilled about 7 minutes per side and they turned out moist and tender. I'd serve this to even the pickiest eaters because the taste is so flavorful.-06 Jun 2003