- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of chicken
- Chicken breast
- Pan fried chicken breasts
This chicken recipe uses simple ingredients for a dish that is delightfully tasty. Fab enough for a dinner party, yet easy enough for a midweek supper.
286 people made this
- 10 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
- 2 (220ml) bottles balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 900g fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:12hr marinating › Ready in:12hr50min
- Place chicken in a shallow dish or large resealable plastic bag. Pour the vinaigrette over it, cover or seal and marinate in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours.
- Coat a large frying pan lightly with oil, and set over low heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. Saute chicken breast fillets over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Arrange chicken on a serving platter. Place a generous slice of fresh mozzarella on top of each piece. Place a leaf of basil on top of the cheese, and cover with a slice of tomato. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the platter, then season with salt and pepper. Serve!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(295)
Reviews in English (202)
Fabulous!! I made this for my family last night and they all loved it! I changed a little to suit me, though. I marinated the chicken for 24 hours and then baked the chicken instead of pan-frying it. I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes. Then I layered shredded mozzarella on top and placed in the oven for 5 more minutes so it would melt. I took the advice of another reviewer and warmed the tomato and basil slightly in a skillet. Then I placed them on top of the chicken. My husband was raving all night. It is our new favorite meal and it is so easy!-28 Feb 2007
by Amy Snyder
This was EXCELLENT. Made a few modifications: didn't have any balsamic vinaigrette on hand so I made Mama's Balsamic Vinaigrette (on this website), which I highly recommend! Marinated chicken filets for 24 hours (poked holes in the chicken so they would absorb marinade even better). I put the whole thing - marinade and all (added a dash of Italian seasoning) - in a baking dish and put it in the oven for 30 min at 350. During the last ten minutes of cooking, I put tomato slices around the chicken in the pan so they would warm up and absorb some of the awesome flavor. During the last 5 minutes, I put mozzarella slices on the chicken so they would melt, along with dried basil sprinkled on top. I served it by pouring some of the leftover balsamic vinaigrette around the chicken and placed the tomatoes on top. It came out PERFECT. I will definitely make this over and over again - it was so easy, yet elegant, and it was incredibly tasty!-30 Jun 2007
My family LOVES this recipe. It is so easy to make, and tastes so fresh and "alive". This recipe has become part of my regular repertoire.10/09,2006: Update: I used the basis of this recipe with some fresh tilapia (white fish) and it was fabulous. I marinated the fish in the balsamic vinegrette for about 45 minutes. I lined a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil, and placed the fish on the foil. I then covered the fish with shredded mozzarella and baked in a 425 F oven for 10 minutes, then broiled for 2-3 minutes until the cheese was golden and bubbly. To make the remainder ingredients easier to eat with fish, I chopped the basil and diced the tomatoes before layering them on the top of each fish fillet. Finally, I sprinkled with additional balsamic vinegar and served. YUM YUM!!! Thanks again, this is one we make all the time!-31 Aug 2005