- Diet & lifestyle
- Vegetarian meals
A culinary delight, best prepared with aubergine fresh from the garden!
63 people made this
- 2 (500g) aubergines
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs
- 60g grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 12 slices tomato
- 25g grated Gruyere cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Cut aubergine in half lengthways, scoop out the insides, leaving a 1cm thick shell. Chop the flesh finely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook chopped aubergine for about 1 minute. Stir in onion, garlic, and parsley, and cook until tender. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in breadcrumbs, 60g Gruyere, chopped olives, capers and lemon juice. Season with basil, crushed chillies, salt and pepper. Stuff into aubergine shells.
- Top stuffed aubergines with overlapping slices of tomato. Sprinkle evenly with remaining Gruyere cheese, and drizzle with remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Place on baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(57)
Reviews in English (40)
Delicious! Also quite quick to make. The best stuffed aubergine recipe I've found and totally vegetarian. I am making it for about the third time tonight.-05 Feb 2013
Now a close rival to my normal aubegine stuffed with tomatoes and Turkish red pepper paste, I used a good mature cheddar and was delighted with this full flavoured dish.-26 Mar 2015
I've just made it and I had to have seconds (which I was saving for tomorrow!). Yuuum! Couldn't find Gruyere cheese so I used Emmental instead and it worked well. I added chopped almonds as well to add a bit of crunch.-17 Sep 2014