- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
A simple topping of mayonnaise, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese dresses up lightly steamed and baked asparagus, but doesn't take away from the fresh flavour.
27 people made this
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 200g mayonnaise
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 40g grated Parmesan cheese
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:35min
- Preheat an oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan. Pour enough water into the saucepan to reach just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring the water to the boil. Add the asparagus, cover and steam until just tender, 2 to 6 minutes depending on thickness.
- Place the asparagus into a baking dish. Spread mayonnaise over the asparagus; sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the crumbs and cheese are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
You may want to turn on the grill for the last few minutes to really up the flavour.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(34)
Reviews in English (26)
Great Idea...but try it with Roasted Asparagus instead of steaming! Awesome! I just lightly oil the asparagus with canola or olive oil, salt and pepper then place in 425 degree oven for 8 min, then take out, lower oven to 375 and then place in glass dish, cover with toppings and back for 15 min. YUMMY-10 May 2010
Yumm JZG. I was looking for something a bit different to do with fresh asparagus. I did this exactly as written since I had everything on hand. It turned out great (today it was my breakfast, lunch and the rest will be served with dinner, and I will make another batch for Easter dinner). Oh, and the broiler tip is a must. Thanks for sharing! Nelly-02 Apr 2010
I replaced the mayonnaise with cream of mushroom soup since a couple of us dislike it. Was a great way to use up asparagus I needed to use.-12 Apr 2011