- Dish type
- Fillings for pancakes
My mother-in-law gave me this recipe. Fresh blueberries are recommended.
19 people made this
- 1.5kg (3 lb) blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 450ml (16 fl oz) water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 600g (1 lb 5 oz) caster sugar
- 1L (1 pint 15 fl oz) water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:20min
- Place blueberries in a large stockpot and crush with a potato masher. Add water and lemon zest; simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Strain fruit through a sieve to remove pulp and seeds; reserve juice.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until temperature reaches 125 degrees C. Add blueberry juice and boil for 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat. Let cool and pour into jars (or freeze) as desired.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(14)
Reviews in English (14)
Great recipe, easy to make with strawberries. If you alter the number of servings, don't add 4 cups of water in the second step. I had to use cornstarch to thicken it.-28 Jun 2004
This is a wonderful recipe to top off Angel Food cake with.I substituted orange rind for the lemon rind, and apple/white grape juice for the lemon juice. I did not strain the pulp because I wanted to retain the fiber.I will save this recipe and use it again, perhaps as written next time.-05 Jun 2003