- Dish type
- Vegetable salad
- Asparagus salad
This is a fantastically simple salad. Serve as a starter with great success.
3 people made this
- 1kg asparagus, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 125g pancetta, diced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:25min
- Place asparagus in a steamer over 2.5cm of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 2 to 6 minutes. Drain, cool in a bowl of ice water, drain on kitchen paper, and place on a serving platter.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil or medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook and stir until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pancetta, and continue to cook and stir for 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and Dijon into the garlic-pancetta mixture. Pour the sauce over the asparagus.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
The idea has potential and the flavors are nice, but the method of preperation doesn't allow that to come through. I will make this again, however, with the following changes to prep:Saute pancetta until crisp and all fat has been rendered. Remove from pan and set aside. Stir garlic into pancetta drippings and cook until translucent and fragrent. Remove from heat, add dijon and lemon juice. Drizzle in olive oil while stirring to form an emulsion. Dress the blanched asparagus and store in refrigerator. Immediatly prior to serving, toss in the crisp pancetta pieces. Some toasted pine nuts prior to serving would also be a nice addition. Also salt and pepper to taste.-18 Apr 2007
by Ed Grivner
this was a good choice for our valentines dinner side dish. only change i made was serving the asparagus warm and using 1 T of whole dijon mustard. the lemon juice and garlic add a nice flavor to the asparagus.-17 Feb 2011