- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Root vegetable soup
- Sweet potato soup
Sweet potato soup warmly spiced and beautifully presented with a hint of nutty flavour. Makes a fab dinner party starter.
245 people made this
- 120ml soured cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1L chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh root ginger
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- salt to taste
- 1 large plum tomato, seeded and diced
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:20min ›Extra time:40min › Ready in:1hr20min
- In a small bowl, stir together the soured cream and lime zest. Set aside in the refrigerator to allow the flavours to combine.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add sweet potatoes, and chicken stock. Season with cumin, chilli flakes and ginger. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or regular blender. If using a regular blender, puree in small batches, filling the blender just a bit past halfway to avoid spillage. Whisk peanut butter into the soup, and heat through. Stir in lime juice, and salt.
- Ladle into warm bowls, and top with a dollop of the reserved soured cream, a few pieces of diced tomato, and a sprinkle of coriander.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(335)
Reviews in English (273)
So easy to make and absolutely delicious! Will definitely be making it again!-12 Nov 2016
-22 May 2013
All I have to say is WOW!One quick tip: I microwaved my sweet potato until tender and then mashed with a fork to speed up the process. It was a quicker cook time, made the sweet potato easier to puree. SO FAB!!!-15 Nov 2006