- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of beef
- Stewing steak
This dish originates from Hungary, it's a very filling dish when served with mashed/boiled potatoes and veg.
Stirlingshire, Scotland, UK
145 people made this
- 2 level tablespoons plain flour
- 3 level tablespoons paprika
- 1 level teaspoon salt
- 1/2 level teaspoon black pepper
- 900g diced stewing or braising steak
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 rashers rindless, smoked back bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 level teaspoons mixed dried herbs
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml water
- flat leaf parsley to garnish
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:2hr ›Ready in:2hr30min
- Put the flour, paprika, salt and pepper into a large food bag. Add 900g diced steak, twist top of bag and shake to coat the meat.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add onion and bacon and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef, separating the pieces as you add them to the pan. Stir continuously over a high heat for about 2 minutes until browned to seal the meat.
- Add the mixed herbs, chopped tomatoes and water, stir well and bring to the boil.Transfer to a casserole dish and cook in a preheated oven at 170 C / Gas 3 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until tender, stirring half way through cooking time. Serve garnished with flat leaf parsley.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(13)
Reviews in English (13)
Went down a storm! Served first for a supper party, just added mushrooms and served with chunky roasties, green beans and carrots. Compliments from everyone. Have recently made it into a one pot meal for 2. Just halved everything and added, cubed potatoes, carrots and peas. Served with crusty bread.Lovely recipe, thank you x-18 Feb 2015
This recipe went down really went, very nice flavour which is very easy to make.Added a chilli to add a little extra spice, but tasted very nice without this addition-23 Sep 2013
Everybody loved it-05 Nov 2013