- Dish type
- Bean salad
This salad is a kaleidoscope of colour and taste - black beans, sweetcorn, green peppers and tomatoes. It can also be used as a dip with tortilla crisps.
409 people made this
- 1 (400g) tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (340g) tins sweetcorn, drained
- 8 spring onions, chopped
- 2 green chillies, seeded and minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado - peeled, stone removed and diced
- 100g (4 oz) jarred roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8 tablespoons Italian salad dressing, or homemade vinaigrette
MethodPrep:15min ›Ready in:15min
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss well, and chill until serving.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(463)
Reviews in English (327)
Altered ingredient amounts.I've made this several times and have meant to submit my rave review for ages now. This recipe is tasty, healthy and very versatile. Make it spicy or not---eat it as a salad, use it as a salsa with crisps, or throw it in a pitta or tortilla! My variation is to use 2 tins beans, 1 tin sweetcorn and omit the avocado (avocado gets a bit slimy as a leftover). That's just me though----this can be adjusted to anyone's preference! Truly a winner!!-24 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients.This made for a beautiful salad - the colour combination was great. I did make a few changes. I added some cumin, cayenne pepper and chilli powder. After I had it all mixed up I thought it was screaming for pasta so I added some fusilli. I used red and green peppers and also added a bit of chopped celery. I didn't have the avocado so I skipped that. My end result was a very tasty and pretty side dish.-24 Jul 2008
This is such an easy recipe and it does NOT have to be followed by the letter to turn out grand.....Be creative...-24 Jul 2008