- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
A very cheap and filling meal and very easy to make. garlic, chopped peppers, etc.
Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK
86 people made this
- 600g pasta (any kind but I use penne or fusilli)
- 1 whole cooked chicken, stripped and deboned
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into pieces (smoked or unsmoked)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 140g tomato puree
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250g grated cheddar
- 250g mascarpone
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:1hr
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted (optional) water until slightly soft. It is a good idea to slightly undercook it as the pasta is going into the oven at a later time.
- While the pasta is cooking fry the chopped onion with the bacon in a largeish pot until the bacon is just cooked and the onion is soft. Then add the chicken and mix together. Add the herbs and salt and pepper and gradually stir in the tomato puree. When all has been mixed together gradually add the tin of chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- If the mixture feels too dry and sticky add a little water to loosen it and then add the Mascarpone along with a small handful of the grated cheddar. Mix until all the cheese and mascarpone has been blended in.
- Drain the cooked pasta and rinse under a cold tap to remove any starch and then mix into the tomato chicken and bacon mixture until everything is coated and even.
- Place the whole mixture into a large oven dish and sprinkle the remaining grated cheddar on top so that it is evenly coated. Put this into the oven at about 140 C until the dish is heated through and the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve with garlic bread if desired.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(6)
Reviews in English (6)
Wow!What can i say......this was lovely,very,very tasty indeed!I will definitely be making this again (and again)-22 Apr 2010
I have made this dish a few times when I've had friends for dinner in the week. It's really delicious and not at all labour intensive. Instead of cooked roast chicken I used diced chicken thighs which I fry along with the onion and bacon. I've even used a packet of gnocchi in lieu of pasta for a twist.-15 Feb 2015
Cheap,really tasty dish.made it to the quantaties but theres only 2 of us.plenty to freeze.definatley recommended!-31 Oct 2017