- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of chicken
- Whole chicken
- Whole roast chicken
A whole roast chicken served with a deliciously creamy peppercorn sauce. Tip: Use the bottom of a heavy frying pan to crack the whole peppercorns.
33 people made this
- 1 (2kg) whole chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250ml dry vermouth
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 250ml whipping cream, heated until steaming
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr20min ›Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Place chicken into a roasting tin with vermouth, shallots and garlic.
- Cover the roasting tin, and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or 20 minutes per 450g.
- Sieve juices from the roasting tin into a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until reduced to about 125ml. Stir in heated cream and cracked peppercorns. Cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes until thick, but do not boil. Carve chicken, and serve with sauce.
Watch our video to see how to make a perfectly roasted chicken every time. Watch now!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(25)
Reviews in English (23)
This was delicious! As always, I adjusted the recipe according to what was in the cupboards, i.e. white wine instead of vermouth, small onion inteaad of shallots, double cream not whipping cream. but it made an average roast dinner that much more special. I also roasted the vegetables in the same dish as the chicken; the carrots tasted wonderful!I would probably increase the amounts of the sauce if I was making it again, it was so delicious 2 of us had no problem finishing it all off! (recipe for 4 people!) Thank you Denise.-21 Jan 2007
I wanted something simple to make and this was it!! Not only was it easy, it was absolutely delicious as well. Since I didn't have vermouth on hand, I sustituted sherry, which wasn't half bad. I will definately prepare this again and again and again...-09 Jan 2004
I used chicken broth and a little red cooking wine instead of vermouth ( I just do not keep alcohol on hand). I also seasoned the chicken with a teaspoon each of poultry seasoning, dried rosemary, and dried parsley. The chicken turned out scrumptious. THE CRACKED PEPPERCORN SAUCE IS AWESOME! I had it over mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus.-31 Jan 2007