- Pasta types
An easy vegetarian pasta dish that's perfect for a quick midweek supper. It's also great served with brown rice, and you can substitute tinned borlotti beans for the black beans.
85 people made this
- 1 (500g) packet whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 350ml (12 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 100g (4 oz) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (400g) tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 150g (5 oz) frozen broccoli
- 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:35min
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Reduce heat, and mix in spinach, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in the black beans and broccoli. Continue to cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir the tomatoes into the saucepan, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Serve over the cooked pasta. Garnish with Parmesan if desired (skip it to keep the dish vegan).
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(74)
Reviews in English (58)
This was fun to make and delicious! I added an extra garlic clove and some tomato purée as well as a smidgeon of flour to thicken it up! The sauce alone could be made as a soup. The family loved it!!-04 Nov 2010
This was excellent! Cooked up quickly and had lots of flavour. Was a tasty, healthy, filling meal!-30 Sep 2009
Very filling. Nice family meal. I added tomato puree with the tomatoes, as suggested by another reviewer. Came out a lovely consistancy as was flavourful. I will make it again.-06 Aug 2015