- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Banana cake
- Banana bread
This is mega simple and it doesn't have to be dairy free - just substitute dairy items for non-dairy in list. If your machine only cooks, or you are cooking in a conventional oven, just mix all the ingredients together in a bowl with a fork first.
Somerset, England, UK
128 people made this
- 135g sugar (I use half brown, half caster)
- 70g vegetable fat (Stork® or similar)
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbinate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 4 to 5 tablespoons soya milk (or water) - optional
- 1 handful raisins, nuts, chocolate chips or sultanas
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:50min ›Ready in:1hr
- In the breadpan of a bread machine, roughly combine all the ingredients and any 'extras' with a fork except the milk.
- Add the milk (or water) if using - if you prefer a firmer, drier bread you don't need this; if you want a softer, cakier texture, use the liquid.
- My machine mixes and cooks for 1 hour 50 minutes. If you are just cooking, put on cake or rapid setting, or in the oven about 45 to 50 minutes at 180 C / Gas 4 (check that a skewer comes out clean to see if it's done, if not leave a little longer).
- Take pan out of bread machine (or tin out of the oven), leave to cool for 20 to 30 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edge to help it out of the tin. Turn out and try not to eat it all in one go!
Try taking out 2 tablespoons of sugar and replacing with 2 tablespoons of honey or peanut butter.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(16)
Reviews in English (16)
Fantastic recipe. It's so hard to find yummy recipes for my son who is allergic to everything. I substituted the flour with spelt flour and replaced one spoon of sugar with a spoon of maple syrup. Came out a great deal better than any banana bread I've ever made with eggs and it's scrumptious. Thank you DeniseMace-15 May 2010
Totally scrumptious! Extremely easy to make and very very tasty! My son has an egg allergy so we struggle finding nice recipes. We make this at least once a week now, Thank you-10 Jan 2011
Very easy to make. Did it almost as per recipe, in the oven, but with milk and half butter/half vegi fat. It was perfect, as good as in any cafe, but strangely that was disappointing. It lacked character! Will definitely add nuts and darker sugar when I make it next time, to make it more interesting.-07 Oct 2012