- Dish type
This is a simple sponge cake that I enjoy with family and friends! It's nice topped with some fruit like strawberries or raspberries.
West Midlands, England, UK
14 people made this
- For the cake
- 5 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 heaped tablespoons self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 small cup milk
- For the icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease a 23cm (9in) round cake tin.
- Mix the granulated sugar, caster sugar and melted butter together in a small bowl.
- Mix flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. Make a hole in the middle. Add the melted butter mixture and mix gently.
- Whisk egg whites until almost stiff. Gradually add the yolks; continue whisking to reach a deep orange colour. Fold this mixture into the cake mixture, adding as much milk as needed to create a creamy, slightly running mixture. Keep the rest of the milk for the icing.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- For Icing: In a clean bowl, mix icing sugar, vanilla extract, a few tablespoons milk and softened butter. Whisk together to form a thick, creamy icing. Spread evenly on top of the cake when it has cooled.