- Dish type
- Vegetable salad
- Cabbage salad
Here's a wonderful American side dish for summertime parties with hamburgers or hot dogs, though this one is especially formulated to use on pulled pork sandwiches! The listed "resting" time is for the cabbage and carrot to "weep", and can be up to 4 hours.
New Mexico, United States
3 people made this
- 230-250g green cabbage (about 1/2 head), shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1/2 small yellow or red onion, minced
- 120ml mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
MethodPrep:15min ›Extra time:1hr resting › Ready in:1hr15min
- Toss the cabbage and carrots with salt together in a colander set over medium bowl. Let it stand until cabbage wilts, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Dump the wilted cabbage and carrots into the bowl. Rinse thoroughly in cold water (ice water if serving slaw immediately). Pour the vegetables back into the colander, pressing (but not squeezing) on them to drain. Pat dry with kitchen paper. (Can be stored in a zipper-lock bag and refrigerated overnight.)
- Pour the cabbage and carrots back again into bowl. Add the onion, mayonnaise and vinegar; toss to coat. Season with pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The first 2 steps are not absolutely necessary, however they add an added degree of crunchiness to the slaw. Also, if not done, the cabbage will weep, making the dish somewhat "soupy".