- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
This is a basic, easy stew made with chicken legs or chicken breasts. I like to use a base of onions, celery, and carrots but you could really use any vegetables.
County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK
524 people made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken legs or breasts
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and thickly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 120ml white wine or chicken stock
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes or punnet cherry tomatoes or 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- Pinch salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:50min ›Ready in:1hr
- Heat oil in a heavy pan over high heat and fry chicken until lightly golden.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Move them around the pan before adding the wine.
- Turn down the heat, add the tomatoes, tomato puree, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 50 - 60 minutes (the longer the better). You could also bake it in the oven at 200 degrees C, if you prefer. Taste and season with salt and pepper before serving.
You can serve it with mash or just eat it with a crusty baguette.
You can bulk it out with cauliflower florets - these taste great in the stew because they absorb all the flavours.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(34)
Reviews in English (29)
Tried this recipe. Was lovely. I added a little mustard powder, white pepper, black pepper marjoram, parsley, fennel seeds, etc. was very simple to make.-06 Oct 2013
Am a very fussy eater and I adored this I swapped from chicken to Quorn as I'm trying to lose some weightl and it works just as well. Definitely a win for my family and for my bank balance.-20 Oct 2012
This dish is gorgeous and very easy to make then relax and enjoy x-22 Aug 2011