Now you can make breaded scampi at home with this easy to follow, tried and tested family recipe. Serve with chips and a wedge of lemon, or some freshly gathered samphire.
Hampshire, England, UK
61 people made this
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 225g plain flour
- 85ml beer
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 225g fine breadcrumbs
- 450g whole langoustine tails
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:5min ›Ready in:25min
- Preheat the oil for deep fat frying in a large heavy bottomed saucepan, or in a deep fat fryer.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, flour, beer, salt and pepper. Beat to form a smooth thick batter.
- Pour the breadcrumbs out onto a plate.
- One at a time, coat the scampi with the batter then quickly roll in the breadcrumbs to cover. Immediately transfer the scampi to the preheated oil for cooking. Repeat for the remainder of the scampi.
- Cook the scampi for 5 minutes, until they turn crispy and golden brown. Remove and blot to remove excess oil. Serve immediately.
When deep frying in a saucepan, always practice safety first and have a damp cloth or fire blanket near the cooker to smother an oil fire; never use water. Do not leave the kitchen when deep frying and always keep an eye out for smoke.